||ROUND BACKER ROD
FOR LOG CAULKING APPLICATIONS
WHAT IS BACKER ROD?
Backer Rod is an extruded, round, closed cell polyethylene foam designed to effectively fill the gaps between logs prior to the application of log caulking. Backer Rod is flexible and compressible; it conforms to the irregularities in the log surface. The primary function of Backer Rod is to provide a firm yet flexible base surface to apply the log caulking to. When the log caulking is installed over the Backer Rod the caulk will stick to the log above and the log below and float over the Backer Rod which is a natural release agent. The Backer Rod allows the caulking to expand and contract as the log moves.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING BACKER ROD?
It provides a firm chinking or caulking surface
It’s shape and texture allow it to be easily installed without using staples, nails or glue
It repels water and seals off air leaks.
It’s compatible with Energy Seal, Checkmate 2, and Woodsman sealants
It helps the caulk to perform better over the long term
It provides extra insulation against heat loss
It comes in a number of widths and it fits a wide variety of log styles
As with all Log Home projects, make sure your log and log gaps are free of moisture and foreign material such as dirt, dust, pollen, mildew and mold.
WHAT WIDTHS OF BACKER ROD ARE AVAILABLE?
Apply in dry weather. Trapped moisture can cause caulking to blister
HOW DO I INSTALL BACKER ROD?
1. Joint or opening should be clean and dry and free of all contaminates, loose materials, dry, and free of water or frost.
2. To install, compress Backer-Rod into the joint before sealants are applied. Install backer-rod using a blunt tool or a plain faced roller.
3. Force the Backer Rod to so that it is at least 3/8th of inch below the desired finish level of the log caulking.
4. Don't stretch, puncture or tear backer-rod during installation but gently force into the joint so that the backer-rod fits tight against the sides of the joint. Use a backer-rod roller or smooth tool to set backer rod to proper depth.
5. Apply masking tape over any joints in the Backer Rod
HOW DO I STORE BACKER ROD?
Store Backer Rod in a clean dry place away from extreme heat or cold.
HOW IS BACKER ROD SHIPPED?
Backer Rod is shipped in 100ft bundles. 99% of our orders are shipped within 24 hours of order receipt via UPS Ground
HOW DO I ORDER BACKER ROD?
Backer Rod is independently nationally distributed by Logfinish.com. To order Backer Rod use our secure online order system 24/7 or contact us by phone, fax or e-mail. Our offices are open Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern Time