Take a moment to walk around your home.
Here are some signs that your cabin may need a new coat of stain or caulking/chinking maintenance:
- Faded finish on South or West exterior walls
- Varying shades on top and bottom of logs
- Gray discoloration from weathering
- Blonde color around checks and cracks
- Gaps between caulking/chinking joints
- Presence of mold, mildew or excessive dirt
- Cracking, peeling or flaking of the log finish
- Water repellency is an easy way to determine when it’s time to apply a maintenance coat.
To check if the stain on your home is still repelling water, perform the following simple test:
Hose down your home. If the water beads up, you still have good protection and can wait 6-12 months before your next application. If the water soaks into the wood, it’s time to reapply.