What is Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat?
Colorfast prevents your wood from natural darkening. Colorfast also provides a uniform base coat that seals your wood on rough and smooth surfaces alike to prevent blotchiness due to uneven stain absorption. When you start with Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat, you control the natural variables of wood so that the color you choose is the color you will get. Before ordering, always request samples of Sashco products from LogFinish.com and test the products out on your own wood.
Logs and wood siding are natural products. As with any natural product, porosity and milled finish varies. This natural variation causes significant color variation when semi-transparent wood finishes are applied. Get a uniform color for your log or natural wood home, use Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat before applying Sashco products such as Transformation Log and Timber, Transformation Siding and Trim, Capture Log Stain as well as Symphony Interior Clear Coat.
What Are the Benefits of Using Colorfast?
- Colorfast reacts with the wood to prevent yellowing and darkening of the wood over time.
- Colorfast reduces blotchiness by filling the pores of the wood to produce a more even stain application.
- Colorfast is flexible enough to use under any oil or water-based Sashco stain.
- Colorfast makes stain application easier and faster.
What Coverage Can I Expect With Colorfast?
Colorfast coverage will vary between 150 – 300 SF per gallon, depending on the porosity and dryness of your wood.
What is the Ideal Temperature Range to Apply Colorfast?
Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat can be applied when temperatures are between 40 – 90 degrees. Do not apply Colorfast when rain or snow is imminent.
How Do You Apply Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat?
- Start with a clean wood surface. Media blast, power wash, chemical strip or sand the wood using an Osborn Brush or 60-80 grit sand paper to remove all previous stains and any loose, unsound gray or yellow wood fibers along with mill glaze, pollen and other surface contaminants. If mold or algae is present, clean the wood with Sashco’s CPR Cleaner mixed to the brightener strength. Allow the cleaner to sit for 20 minutes before thoroughly rinsing.
- Remove any wood fuzz that may have developed from power washing, Use an Osborn brush or 60-80 grit sandpaper. Then, remove all sawdust with either a broom, compressed air, or a leaf blower.
- Apply Tim-Bor Professional Wood Preservative according to label directions. Tim-Bor will prevent rot, and will kill any wood ingesting insects that may be resident in the wood. Allow the Tim-Bor to dry for 3 days prior applying Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat. Prior to applying Colorfast, the moisture content of the wood should be 19% or below.
- Thoroughly mix Colorfast with a drill driven squirrel cage mixer. Scrape any settled material from the bottom of the pail and thoroughly mix it in.
- Stir Colorfast every 15-20 minutes during application. This ensures all ingredients are thoroughly mixed in.
- Spray Colorfast on to the wood using an airless sprayer with a large (515+) spray tip. Thoroughly cover the wood. Also apply Colorfast to any cracks or checks in the wood. If using a brush, drench coat the wood to ensure adequate coverage. Apply as much Colorfast as the wood will take. Colorfast goes on a milky white but dries clear.
- Work horizontally. Plan to apply Colorfast to one wall at a time, starting at the bottom and working completely across 3-4 logs high. When the first 3-4 logs are covered, move up the wall to the next 3-4 logs. Keep going like this, until you reach the top of the wall.
- Lightly back brush Colorfast to make sure all the wood is covered.
- Clean up any drips that may get on lower logs to avoid overlap marks.
- Allow Colorfast to dry thoroughly. This typically takes 2 hours. When dry, the product is clear and is ready for the application of your chosen Sashco stain.
Using Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat on Interior Wood
Apply Colorfast to interior wood the same way you would on exterior walls. Cover Colorfast with 1-2 coats of Sashco’s Symphony Interior Clear Coat to maintain the original bright wood color and add a beautiful satin or gloss sheen. Colorfast unique formula prevents interior wood from yellowing.
Cleanup of Colorfast
Colorfast Pre-Stain Base Coat becomes stickier as it dries. While still wet, clean tools and equipment with either mineral spirits or a citrus based cleaner. If Colorfast has dried on your tools, use mineral spirits to clean up Colorfast residue.
Storage of Colorfast
Do not allow Colorfast to freeze. Tightly reseal opened containers and store Colorfast at room temperature.