The two coat application of Lifeline Ultra-2 color helps to ensure consistent color development on your walls. From the day that you apply it to the many years of durability that you get from it, this wood stain will distinguish your home. Great selection of wood-tone tints allows you to create the look you desire.
A single protective clear coat of Lifeline Advance Gloss or Satin adds depth and clarity to the wood grain. The satin and gloss finish options create a warm reflective quality while protecting against damaging rays from the sun. The smooth surface of the clear coat repels dirt and dust, and makes walls easier to clean and maintain.
Perma-Chink Systems is so confident in the performance of Lifeline Ultra-2 that it comes with a 5-year warranty against UV exposure when applied to bare wood and covered with an initial coat of Lifeline Advance Top Coat and then a maintenance coat after 3 years.
|Before Lifeline Ultra-2
||After Lifeline Ultra-2
Product Type: Water based formula
Uses: Exterior logs and wood siding with the exception of Eastern Red Cedar.
- Environmentally friendly water-based stain
- Breathable finish
- A mechanical resistance to biological growth
- Superior color retention
- Ease of application
- Water repellency
- Except for Eastern Red Cedar, Lifeline exterior finishes, including Prelude may be applied on Western Red Cedar and Redwood (Softwoods) and Walnut and Mahogany (Hardwoods), Southern Pine, Douglas Fir, Spruce and Cypress after washing with Cedar Wash by Perma-Chink Systems.
The initial application of the Lifeline Ultra-2 Exterior Finish System requires two coats of Lifeline Ultra-2 followed by one coat of Lifeline Advance Top Coat in Satin or Gloss. After these applications your exterior should require little or no maintenance other than cleaning for a period of 3 years. After 3 years clean the surface with Log Wash Wood Cleaner and apply an additional coat of Lifeline Advance Top Coat to maintain your finish.
|Size||1 Gallon||5 Gallon|
|1st Coat||350-450 square feet (bare wood)||1750-2250 square feet (bare wood)|
|2nd Coat||600-800 square feet(finished wood)||3000-4000 square feet (finished wood)|
Great Preparation is the Key to Application Success!
Surface Preparation for new, bare wood
- Use Log Wash to prep new construction unless heavy mill glaze is evident. If so, or if wood has become gray due to UV exposure then use Wood ReNew to prep wood.
Surface Preparation for weathered, gray wood
- Use Wood ReNew to renew the color of bare wood which has become gray from UV exposure.
Surface Preparation for maintenance cleaning
- Log Wash is the only cleaner recommended for maintenance cleaning after Lifeline Ultra -2 has been applied. A yearly cleaning is important to prolong the life of your exterior finish and to maintain the best appearance.
Surface Preparation for wood with mold and mildew
- For new construction as well as maintenance issues with mold/mildew, use Log Wash.
Check the Moisture Content of Your Logs
Do not apply Lifeline Ultra-2 to wood over 18% moisture content. Applying Ultra-2 to wood with moisture content of over 18% can result in peeling, blistering and severely reduced product durability.
To test the moisture content of your wood, borrow a moisture meter from your contractor or purchase one at your local hardware store. For quick reference:
- Laminated logs: The moisture content of laminated logs is generally below 14%. These logs are usually ready for immediate application of Lifeline Ultra-2 once they have been cleaned and allowed to dry for the appropriate amount of time. Always use a moisture meter to confirm the moisture content.
- Kiln-dried or air dried logs: Use a moisture meter to check.
- Green, wet, or treated logs: These logs have moisture content greater than 18%. Allow the logs to sit in a dry area and check their moisture content on a regular basis. Logs with high moisture content can take up to 6 months to 1 year to reach the appropriate 18% or below moisture content for applying Lifeline Ultra-2.
Apply a Wood Preservative
Have your logs been pre-treated with a wood preservative at the factory or mill? Contact your log or siding provider if unsure.
What is a wood preservative?
Wood preservatives make wood toxic to wood damaging organisms such as powder post beetles, carpenter ants and fungi. Wood preservatives do not protect against Carpenter Bees and other wood drilling insects, only those that ingest wood. Use NBS-30 Insect Repellent to prevent carpenter bees and other pests.
Why apply a wood preservative before applying Lifeline Ultra-2?
Applying a wood preservative can protect your home from damaging organisms for the life of the home. Lifeline Ultra-2 contains mildewcides, insecticides, water repellents and UV protectants; it is not a wood preservative. LogFinish.com recommends applying ShellGuard RTU or ShellGuard Concentrate to your logs before applying Lifeline Ultra-2. ShellGuard RTU, ShellGuard Concentrate, and Lifeline Ultra-2 will not prevent Carpenter Bees from drilling, to treat for Carpenter Bees use Bug Juice Insecticide in Lifeline Advance Topcoat. Please note that Bug Juice may reduce gloss of the top coat.
Caulk All Gaps and Checks
It is natural for wood to crack/check over time due to changing seasons, temperature and aging.
Fill any spaces between the logs and upward facing cracks/checks in the wood after applying a wood preservative and before applying Lifeline Ultra-2. Fill all joints, cracks, and nail holes with a good quality acrylic latex caulk/filler created specifically for use with wood like Energy Seal or Check Mate 2 prior to applying finish.
Test the Stain
We always recommended performing a two coat color test to a clean, dry, bare area of the structure that you are planning on applying Lifeline Ultra-2. Please Note: Lifeline Ultra-2 is difficult to remove once it has been applied. Before doing a full application make sure that your color selection is correct, has a look you want, and a maintenance schedule you can manage.
Weather Conditions during Application
- Apply Ultra-2 when temperatures are between 40° and 90° F.
- Do not apply Ultra-2 when it is raining
- Avoid applying in direct sun
- Do not apply on surfaces that are hot to the touch
- Do not apply when rain is imminent
Apply Lifeline Ultra-2
- If a borate-based wood preservative has been applied, make sure it is completely dry.
- If using Shell-Guard RTU wait 5 days until stain application, if using Shell-Guard Concentrate wait 30 days.
- Do not apply Lifeline Ultra-2 to surfaces that have been brushed or rubbed with steel wool (rust spots may appear under the finish).
- Surfaces that have been media blasted should be cleaned and Prelude After Blast applied to even out the surface of the wood and prevent color inconsistencies.
- If the wood has been media blasted or more than a week has passed since cleaning, wash down the surface with a solution of Log Wash according to instructions.
- Allow the surface to dry before applying the first coat of finish.
- Stir Lifeline thoroughly at the start and periodically during use – every 10 minutes. If your sprayer has a re-circulator, run it periodically. If you are using a sprayer, set it up according to manufacturer’s instructions. We recommend tip size .015 or .017. Apply Lifeline with sprayer or brush. Never use a roller for application.
- After application, immediately brush wet Lifeline to even out the application and work fresh Lifeline into the wood surface and into exposed checks.
- During back-brushing, if your brush is building up Lifeline and there are runs that you cannot brush out, then lower your application rate. Observe proper coverage rates for best performance and appearance.
- To avoid lap marks, continue to apply Lifeline working systematically across 1 or 2 courses of logs so that you are able to always work from wet edges across fresh surfaces to a planned break point.
- Never stop in the middle of a log or work area. Make sure the finish is dry to the touch before application of subsequent coats. In dry conditions, this could be as little as one hour. In cool weather and high humidity, the drying time extends considerably. In most conditions, Lifeline dries quickly enough to allow you to apply multiple coats in a single day.
- As you start a subsequent coat, watch to see that as you back-brush the new coat the first coat does not soften and roll up in the brush stroke. If it does, stop immediately and allow more drying time.
- Clean application equipment with fresh water and soap. Lifeline that has recently dried can usually be removed using alcohol or mineral spirits.
Regular maintenance and annual attention to your log home can save you money and time. Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection. Weather, exposure and altitude may vary, so maintenance may be needed sooner than later in some locations. If the Lifeline Advance becomes dull, this is a sign another coat of Advance should be applied.
The initial application of the Lifeline Ultra-2 Exterior Finish System requires two coats of Lifeline Ultra-2 followed by one coat of Lifeline Advance Satin or Gloss. After these applications your exterior should require little or no maintenance other than cleaning for a period of 3 years. After 3 years apply an additional coat of Lifeline Advance to maintain your finish if it appears dull.
- Periodic cleaning of exterior walls is important to prolong the life of your exterior finish system and to maintain the best appearance. Lifeline Advance clear coats help reflect sunlight, which reduces the amount of UV that gets through the semi-transparent coating to the wood surface. Keeping the surface free of dust and other contaminates maintains this reflectance.
- Areas that are fully exposed to sun on a regular basis may need re-coating earlier than other areas of the house.
- Inspect logs and check for any upward facing checks/cracks that can hold water.
- Fill all checks with backer rod & Check Mate 2 .
- Examine caulking at corners, butt joints, windows and doors, and fill any voids with backer rod and Energy Seal.
- A good indication that a maintenance coat is needed is when Lifeline Advance is dull and/or color has faded or lightened.
Lifeline Ultra-2 is shipped via FedEx ground and meets VOC compliance for all 50 states.
Ultra-2 ships same day when ordered by 1pm EST.