What is Log Jam Synthetic Chinking?
Log Jam® is the industry standard in synthetic chinking. Unlike old-time mortar, Log Jam Synthetic Chinking holds tough year after year. Its superior elasticity means that it moves with your logs without cracking. Log Jam seals your log cabin from vermin, pollen, dust, rain and wind alike. You get the rustic look of old-time mortar without compromising modern-day comfort and energy efficiency.
- Get the Rustic Look: The textured Log Jam formula is easy to apply for Professionals and DIYers.
- Keeps the Weather Where it Belongs: Log Jam moves with your logs to create a permanently waterproof and weatherproof seal.
- Avoid Repeated Repairs: Log Jam stays soft and elastic over time for a long-lasting seal.
- Easy to clean up: Log Jam is easy to clean-up with soap and water.
Log Jam Synthetic Chinking Coverage
|Joint Width||Joint Thickness||5 Gal Pail||29 OZ Tube|
|½ Inch||¼ Inch||770 Linear Feet||35 Linear Feet|
|1 Inch||½ Inch||195 Linear Feet||8.9 Linear Feet|
|1½ Inch||½ Inch||125 Linear Feet||5.7 Linear Feet|
|2 Inch||½ Inch||95 Linear Feet||4.3 Linear Feet|
|2½ Inch||½ Inch||75 Linear Feet||3.5 Linear Feet|
|3 Inch||½ Inch||65 Linear Feet||3 Linear Feet|
|3½ Inch||½ Inch||55 Linear Feet||2.5 Linear Feet|
|4 Inch||½ Inch||45 Linear Feet||2 Linear Feet|
Log Jam Available Colors
Product Facts for Log Jam Log Chinking
|Shelf Life||1 Year|
|Application Temperature||40 – 90 Degrees F|
|Tack-Free Time||Less than 30 min.|
|Complete Cure Time||3 weeks|
|Application Methods||Chink Pump|
|Bulk Loading Gun and Follow Plate|
|Large Caulking Gun|
Compatibility: Log Jam will adhere to wood treated with most preservatives including borates, pentachlorophenol and copper compounds.
Surface Preparation Guidelines
- Best results are obtained when Log Jam is applied to wood that has been previously coated with a compatible and thoroughly cured stain.
- Clean the log surfaces thoroughly to remove dirt, pollen, bird droppings and other surface contaminants.
- Check the log surface temperature. The surface temperature should be between 40˚F (4˚C) – 90˚F (32˚C). Log Jam is best-applied in moderate weather conditions, i.e., out of direct sunlight, and in dry, warm conditions.
- It is always best to use a bond breaker when prepping the log surface for Log Jam application. When chinking round logs we recommend using Grip Strip Backer Rod that has been securely stapled or nailed into place. When chinking flat logs with a milled in chinking line, use a quality masking tape centered in the milled groove. Using these techniques will provide a bond breaker that allows the chinking to stretch as the logs move.
- Apply Log Jam using a chink pump, a bulk loading gun, or a large caulking gun.
- The ideal Log Jam chinking thickness should be no less than 1/4 inch and no more than 1/2 inch.
- Mist Log Jam with a light water spray prior to finish tooling.
- Tool Log Jam with a wet foam paint brush to help ensure good contact between the chinking and the log surface. This will greatly aid adhesion of the chinking to the log.
- Keep a wet rag handy to clean up any spills or excess Log Jam.
- After Log Jam cures it is very difficult to remove spills and excess material.
There are no reviews yet.