Outlast Q8 Log Oil® is a one-step product for all your log home needs. One-coat application saves you time and money. Using Oxine Copper (copper-8-quinolinolate) Q8 Log Oil penetrates deep into the wood, and will never crack or peel, meaning less maintenance and more time enjoying your log home.
Product Type: Oil based formula
Uses: Logs, Wood Siding, Decks, Fences, End Cuts
- EPA registered wood preservative
- Will never crack or peel
- One saturating application saves you time and money
- One step product for all your log home needs
- Protects against powder post beetles, termites and wood rot
- Beautiful, flat finish allows the natural texture of your wood to show
- unsurpassed water repellency
- Excellent UV protection when you choose from five semi-transparent trans-oxide tints pre-mixed at the factory and ready to apply
- Great for application on logs, siding, decking and cedar shakes.
- Soap and water clean-up
- Meets all Federal, state and local VOC restrictions
- Clear Outlast Q8 Log Oil is available, but does not provide protection from UV rays
- Excellent product for protecting end cuts of pressure treated wood.
|1 Gallon||125-150 sqft||100-125 sqft|
|5 Gallon||625-750 sqft||500-625 sqft|
- Always apply one saturating coat.
- Initially, all colors and clear will be quite dark if applied correctly. After 24 hours and exposure to the sun, colors and clear should look much lighter.
- Coverage will vary due the porosity of the wood
Product Facts for Outlast Q8 Log Oil
Protecting End Cuts
Outlast Q8 Log Oil is also formulated for the coating of freshly sawn ends of pressure-treated wood
products. Its use validates the warranty on Wolmanized and Outdoor wood. The best results are obtained if wood is immersed for 3 minutes or longer. If dipping is not possible, apply by brush, roller or spray to the point of refusal.
Great Preparation is the Key to Application Success!
- Outlast KleenStart is recommended prior to the initial application of Outlast Q8 Log Oil on bare wood.
- Outlast KleenStart is recommended as the cleaner used in preparation of maintenance coats of Outlast Q8 Log Oil.
Please Take Note:
- Q8 Log Oil must penetrate to be effective. For this to happen the log or wood surface must be porous and free of mill glaze. All mill glaze, dirt, mildew, or any previously applied film coatings must be removed prior to application of Q8 Log Oil.
- Avoid sanding. If sanding was required to remove a prior coating, re-open the pores of the wood with wood specific cleaner, thoroughly rinse and allow to dry as much as is possible (3-5 dry days) before application of Q8 Log Oil. Walls exposed to the full sun will dry faster.
- The absorption of Q8 Log Oil is directly related to the porosity of the wood, and more absorption of oil results in a better and longer lasting treatment.
- New, unseasoned wood will require more frequent applications than older dryer wood (especially on new decks).
- If you have graying, older wood, it is best to wash with Outlast Kleenstart to clean and brighten the wood before applying Q8 Log Oil.
Apply a Wood Preservative
Q8 Log Oil is an EPA approved wood preservative containing petroleum distillates and metallic equivalent of copper. There is no need to apply additional wood preservative (borate form) before applying Q8 Log Oil.
Have your logs been pre-treated with a wood preservative (borate form) at the factory or mill? Contact your log or siding provider if unsure.
What is a wood preservative?
Wood preservatives make wood toxic to wood damaging organisms such as powder post beetles, carpenter ants and fungi. Wood preservatives do not protect against non- wood eating insects such as Carpenter Bees and other wood drilling insects; only those that do ingest wood. Click here to find out about additives available for prevention of Carpenter Bees.
Caulk All Gaps and Checks
It is natural for wood to crack/check over time due to changing seasons, temperature and aging. Fill any spaces between the logs and upward facing cracks/checks in the wood. Fill all joints, cracks, and nail holes with a good quality acrylic latex caulk/filler created specifically for use with wood like Energy Seal or Check Mate 2.
Two options for caulking when applying Q8 Log Oil:
- Your time frame is 2+ weeks for Q8 Log Oil to cure: Caulk after applying Q8 Log Oil to wood. This allows the wood preservative function of Q8 Log Oil to soak into all the checks, cracks and grooves in the wood to better preserve your home. Please note: Curing and full color appearance takes approximately 2 weeks. Outlast Q8 Log Oil goes on dark and lightens significantly as it cures.
Curing time for Q8 Log Oil is always subject to the temperature, weather, and porosity of the wood. If there are many warm, dry days, Q8 Log Oil will cure in as little as two weeks. If there is humid or wet weather with lower temperatures in can take up to 4 weeks or more for Q8 Log Oil to cure properly.
- Your time frame is less than 2 weeks for Q8 Log Oil to cure: Caulking must be done before applying Q8 Log Oil to wood. Applying caulking before applying Q8 Log Oil when you have a short project time frame will ensure proper adhesion of caulking to the wood surface.
Test the Stain
We always recommended performing a 1 coat color test to a clean, dry, bare area of the structure to which you are planning on applying Outlast Q8 Log Oil. Please Note: Q8 Log Oil is difficult to remove once it has been applied. Before doing a full application make sure that your color selection is correct, has a look you want, and a maintenance schedule you can manage. Wait 24 hours after applying a Q8 Log Oil sample, to make sure you are getting an accurate representation of color.
Carpenter Bee Repellents and Mildewcide Boosters
Q8 Log Oil contains an adequate level of mildewcide for most applications. LogFinish.com recommends adding M-1 Advanced Mildew Treatment to Q8 Log Oil for homes in very humid areas. We also recommend adding M-1 for homes located adjacent to rivers, streams or lakes as well as in forested locations where there is little sun or in hollows with little sun and poor air circulation.
Q8 Log Oil protects against wood eating insects like powder post beetles and termites. Q8 Log Oil does not protect against wood drilling insects like Carpenter Bee’s or Drilling Wasps. If these insects are an issue where your structure is located, LogFinish.com recommends adding NBS 30, an insect repellent with plant-based ingredients to your Q8 Log Oil application.
- Outlast Q8 Log Oil is a one coat application to the point of saturation on clean, dry, bare wood.
- Do not apply multiple coats or apply 1 coat that is not saturating. This will result in severely decreased durability of the product.
- Do not use an airless sprayer to apply Q8 Log Oil. Airless sprayers atomize Q8 Log Oil and makes it difficult to get the saturating coat needed to maintain product durability.
- Only use pump up garden-type sprayers with plastic, non-corrosive tips to apply Q8 Log Oil; no brass tips.
- Q8 Log Oil can also be applied by using a good quality staining brush for oil based stains.
- Do not over apply Outlast Q8 Log Oil to horizontal walking surfaces. Mop up any unabsorbed material after 15 minutes. Treated surfaces can be slippery initially; avoid heavy traffic until the product has cured.
- Do not spray Outlast Q8 Log Oil on asphalt shingles and driveways because it will soften on contact.
- Overspray or spills should be cleaned IMMEDIATELY with large volumes of a suitable detergent. Review the
safety precautions on the label carefully before opening the container.
For wood already coated with Q8 Log Oil, apply one saturating maintenance coat. Please see the Outlast Q8 Log Oil Maintenance section for more details.
Weather Conditions During Application
- Apply Q8 Log Oil between 50 – 90° F (10 – 32° C)
- Below 50° F (10° C), Q8 Log Oil becomes too thick to pump through a pump sprayer and will require a hand brushing application.
- Warm, dry weather provides the ideal condition to maximize absorption of Q8 Log Oil. Application during warm, dry weather lengthens the time before retreatment will be necessary
- If it rains within 36 hours of a Q8 Log Oil application streaking of the pigment may result
- When rain occurs shortly after initial application simply re-spray the surface with more product, let it sit for 15 minutes and smooth out any streaks with a stiff paint brush
Apply Outlast Q8 Log Oil
- Always follow application procedures on container.
- Buy sufficient product for the whole job. Blend containers with different batch numbers before starting to insure uniform color.
- Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application. A drill with a paint mixing attachment is best for making sure Q8 Log Oil is thoroughly mixed.
- Do not thin!!!
- Apply between 50 – 90° F (10 – 32° C) by brush, pump up sprayer or roller.
- Do not apply if rain, snow, heavy dew or temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 36 hours.
- If brushing is the preferred method, use a natural bristle staining brush for oil based stains. If applying by pump up sprayer, back- brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. Apply as much Q8 Log Oil as the wood will absorb.
- Coat all end grains and the back of all boards/half log siding, if possible, to reduce checking/cracking.
- Clean tools with dish detergent and warm water or mineral spirits.
Regular maintenance and annual attention to your log home can save you money and time. Proper maintenance starts with visual inspection. Weather, exposure and altitude may vary, so maintenance may be needed sooner than later in some locations.
- Inspect logs for any upward facing checks/cracks that can hold water.
- Fill all checks with backer rod & Check Mate 2.
- Examine caulking at corners, butt joints, windows and doors, and fill any voids with backer rod and Energy Seal.
- After filling checks/cracks, perform an annual maintenance cleaning with Outlast KleenStart to clean off the accumulation of dirt and pollen.
- Check for wood that looks dried out, shows color changes, or fading of Outlast Q8 Log Oil.
A general estimate for re-application with Outlast Q8 Log Oil is as follows: Apply first maintenance coat within 2-3 years of initial application, after that every 3-5 years as necessary. Note that walls with more exposure may need more frequent application than those not regularly exposed to the elements.
Maintenance coats of Q8 Log Oil should always be applied in one coat to the point of saturation. Please see Q8 Log Oil application for directions on how to apply.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do assure surface and air temperatures are between 50 degrees and 95 degrees fahrenheit.
- Do stir well before using and periodically throughout application.
- Do saturate all end grains, nail holes, cavities, and cracks in the wood.
- Do combine containers with different batch/lot numbers before applying to insure color uniformity.
- Do back- brush if you are using a pump sprayer to apply Q8 Log Oil.
- Do back prime (if coating wood siding, apply 1 light coat to the back of the siding, if possible.)
- Do apply to the point of saturation, until the wood will not absorb
- Do apply to clean, dry bare wood.
- Don’t apply over surfaces previously coated with a film forming product. It must be completely removed.
- Don’t apply when raining or dew or frost is present or expected within 36 hours.
- Don’t apply when moisture content of the wood is greater than 18%
- Don’t thin with mineral spirits or other paint/stain thinners.
- Don’t apply with stain pads
Ways We Can Ship
Q8 Log Oil must be shipped via ground transportation due to its chemical formulation. All orders are shipped via FedEx. Q8 Log Oil is VOC compliant in all 50 states.