PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE Wood Finish (formerly Sikkens Cetol Maintenance RE Wood Finish) prevents your wood from darkening over time.
Use with repeated coats of tinted PPG Proluxe products by applying PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE Wood Finish, a compatible, clear, satin wood finish. With a single application, the wood will retain the same look and color longer and minimize blistering and cracking due to expansion and contracting of wood.
Product Type: Oil-based, alkyd resin formula
Uses: Siding, garage doors, outdoor furniture, trim, windows, fences, doors, and log homes previously treated with Proluxe Log & Siding or Proluxe 23 Top Coat RE Wood Finish. Either product must have a dull appearance but otherwise in good condition and has been maintained according to PPG guidelines.
- Prevents wood from darkening after repeated coats of Sikkens tinted product.
Alkyd Resin. Not manufactured with lead or mercury containing materials
Colorless, translucent, satin finish
Single coat protection that will help retain the same look and color and minimize blistering and cracking due to expansion and contracting of wood.
Product Facts for PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE
Smooth and Resawn (rough) Wood Surfaces
Apply at 400-500 SF per gallon. Actual coverage may vary depending on the type, age and texture of the wood and application method.
5 years in unopened container
50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C)
- Natural Bristle Brush for Oil Based Stains preferred method
- Roller (must be back brushed)
- Airless Sprayer (must be back brushed)
- TSP or TSP-PH, Bleach and Water Solution
- Pressure washer
- Clean and Dry
- Free of Mold and Mildew
- Moisture Content 18% or Below
To maintain the product’s protective characteristics, apply a single maintenance coat when visibly required or sheen appears dull and before wood starts to turn gray.
Clean and prepare surface as specified under General Surface Preparation. Areas that show minimal wear should only be lightly coated. Hardwoods and lighter colors may require more frequent maintenance. When visibly required or sheen appears dull and before wood starts to turn gray.
2-3 years on South and West, 3-4 years on North and East.
NOTE: Once you apply PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE you cannot switch to a color application for future re-treatments without stripping existing finish.
- Exclusively formulated to be applied over PPG Proluxe 23 Top Coat RE Wood Finish and PPG Proluxe Log & Siding that is dull but otherwise in good condition (no flaking, peeling or bubbling).
- Back-brushing required
- Stir container every 15 minutes
- Maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks
- Do Not Use on Decks and Railings
Clean tools immediately with mineral spirits
Clean spills right away with a damp cloth
- PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE dries to touch in approximately 6 hours
- Hard cures in 24-48 hours
- Low temperature, high humidity, thick films or poor ventilation will increase these times.
- Avoid heavy abrasions immediately following application.
- Clean Your Logs
- Great Preparation is the Key to Application Success!
- Spray the surface with clean water, wetting the wood.
- Clean the surface with a solution of 4 ounces of 100% powdered Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) or phosphate-free substitute (TSP-PF), plus 1 quart of liquid bleach in 3 quarts of water. You can get TSP at your local hardware store. Apply this solution generously to the wood with a garden pump sprayer.
- Let the solution sit on the wood for 15-20 minutes. Do not let the solution dry on the wood.
- Rinse solution starting at the bottom of the wall and working towards the top with a pressure washer at no more than 500-800 psi, and standing at least 8-12 inches from the surface to prevent wood damage.
- Make sure to test the rinse water coming off the wood with a pH strip (available at your local hardware or pool supply store), to make sure no bleach is left on the surface. Bleach left on the surface can cause streaking and adhesion issues. Rinse water should range between 6.5 and 7 on the pH scale.
- Let surface dry for 3 days before application. Three drying days count as non-rainy days. Walls not exposed to full sun will not dry as fast.
Caulk All Gaps and Checks
It is natural for wood to crack/check over time due to changing seasons, temperature and aging.
Fill any spaces between the logs and upward facing cracks/checks in the wood after applying a wood preservative and before applying PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE. Fill all joints, cracks, and nail holes with a good quality acrylic latex caulk/filler created specifically for use with wood like Energy Seal or Check Mate 2 prior to applying log finish.
Apply when air and surface temperature is between 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C)
Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours
Application PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE
PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE can be applied only over Proluxe Log & Siding, Proluxe 23 Top Coat when the finish is dull but otherwise in good condition with no bubbling, peeling or flaking.
Before You Begin
Once you apply PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE, removal of all product is necessary to re-coat with Proluxe Log & Siding or Proluxe 23 Top Coat.
Apply within four weeks of surface cleaning, provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew.
How to Apply PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE
- Buy sufficient product for the whole job and intermix all product together before starting.
- Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application. Do not thin.
- Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush. If applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .009”-.011” tip at 700 – 800 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
- Apply one even coat of PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE, avoiding heavy application.
- Apply in the direction of the grain. Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
Tip: To avoid lap marks, start at one edge and follow through to the end of each board, maintaining a wet edge.
Wood Type Note: Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, Douglass fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed. Apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of oxalic acid to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes, then thoroughly rise with clean water. Do not allow solution to dry on wood surface.
PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE is available for shipment by ground only and is shipped via FedEx to the continental USA; except for the following areas that are not approved for PPG Proluxe Maintenance RE use due to VOC regulations:
- The South Coast Air Quality Management District of California which includes Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino Air Quality Management District of California (exemption allowed for locations registered above 4,000 feet)
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District of California
- San Joaquin Air Quality Management District of California
- Ventura Air Quality Management District of California
- Kern Air Quality Management District of California
- Imperial Air Quality Management Districts of California
If you are unsure if this product can be shipped to your California address, please check on The California Air Resources Board website.