Backer Rod (round) is extruded, closed-cell polyethylene rod/rope that is used in cracks, checks and gaps before filling them with sealants such as, Energy Seal caulk, Check Mate 2 or Perma-Chink. Backer Rod provides a firm yet flexible surface on which to apply sealants. The sealant will adhere to the log above and the log below but float over the Backer Rod which is a natural releasing agent. The Backer Rod allows the sealant to expand and contract as the log moves due to natural settling and weather changes.
Uses: Caulk joints should be no more than 3/8” thick and Backer Rod provides a way to fill a deep crevice or gap while maintaining the proper sealant thickness for maximum performance. Backer Rod should also be used in checks / cracks over 1/4” wide before applying Check Mate 2.
- Round closed cell polyethylene rod / rope allows easier installation without staples, nails or glue
- Flexible and compressible
- Conforms to the irregularities in the log surface
- Under normal use, will not cause out gassing or blistering
- Will not absorb water
- Heat and cold stable
- Seals off air leaks by providing extra insulation
- Should be used to assure proper thickness of sealants including Perma-Chink, Energy Seal caulk and Check Mate 2.
- Available in a variety of widths to fit many log styles
Width Sizes for Round Backer Rod
- ¼ inch
- 3/8 inch
- ½ inch
- ¾ inch
- Available in 100 foot bundles.
- Cases/boxed Backer Rod by special request. Contact a LogFinish.com customer service representative for availability at 888-208-2248.
- Make sure logs and log gaps are free of moisture and foreign material such as dirt, dust, pollen, mildew and mold.
- Apply in dry weather. Trapped moisture can cause sealants to blister.
- Joint or opening should be clean, dry and free of all contaminates and loose materials.
- Compress Backer Rod into the joint using a smooth blunt tool or a plain faced roller.
- Gently force Backer Rod into the joint so that the Backer Rod fits right against the side of the joint. Backer Rod should be at least 3/8th inch below the desired finish level of the sealant.
- Apply masking tape over any joints in the Backer Rod.
- Do not stretch, puncture or tear Backer Rod during installation.
Request a Log Home Sealant Guide from any LogFinish.com customer service representative by calling 888-208-2248 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All orders are shipped by FedEx ground within the continental USA.
LogFinish.com ships 99% of all orders within 24 hours of receipt from our warehouse in Western N.C.