This new generation of preservative combines the well-known effectiveness of borates with a glycol system that increases the penetration into the wood to enhance the action of the borate. Shell-Guard Borate Wood Preservative is a concentrate that is mixed with an equal amount of water, then applied to bare wood with a brush or as a spray. Once in the wood, it will kill those insects that eat wood such as wood boring beetles and termites. It also kills the types of fungi that are responsible for rot and decay. The best thing about Shell-Guard is that one application is permanent as long as the exterior surfaces are maintained with a quality, water resistant stain.
- For pre-treatment of wood during construction.
- Preventative or remedial treatment for existing wood eating insect infestations
- Use on above ground wood surfaces including logs, timbers, dimensional lumber, decks, siding, wood-foam composites, interior wood.
- Treats Rot Fungi, Powderpost Beetles (Anobiids & Lyctids), Old House Borer Larvae Termites (Drywood, Dampwood, Formosan & Subterranean), and Carpenter Ants
- No ethylene glycol
- Deep penetrating
- EPA registered
- Easy to use
Product Facts for Shell-Guard Concentrate Borate Wood Preservative
- Wood must be clean, dry, bare wood
- Free of dirt, wax, mill glaze, and surface finishes
- Remove all previous coatings or sealants
- Remove mold and mildew (for best results, use M-1 Advanced Mildew Treatment)
- Do not apply to frozen wood
- Apply only when temperature is between 40° to 90° Fahrenheit
- Surface must be covered and protected from rain for a minimum of 3 days
Please Note: Two to four weeks are necessary for Shell-Guard concentrate to fully dry. During this time some borate may leach back out on to the surface of the logs. Prior to applying a log stain, any leached borates should be removed by applying Log Wash.
- Shell-Guard is safe to use according to label directions. It is EPA approved for use in both interior and exterior It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner which is inconsistent with its labeling.
- Stir an equal amount by volume of Shell-Guard into warm clean water.
- Stir or agitate while adding until Shell-Guard is completely dissolved in the water.
- Use mixture within 24 hours as settling of concentrate may occur.
- Mix in separate container; do not mix in spray applicator.
- Transfer solution to clean spray applicator or bucket.
- Apply to bare wood with a brush or a low pressure sprayer.
Treating Existing Infestations
- For remedial and preventative control of organisms attacking wood, apply the diluted solution of Shell-Guard by brush, spray or dipping until surface is thoroughly wet (one gallon per 108 sq.ft).
- Thoroughly soak cut ends.
- Application may also be made by drilling and then injecting the solution under pressure into sound wood until run-off is observed from entry/exit holes of infested wood.
- Treatment methods as described yields an approximate retention level of .24lbs per cubic ft. boric acid equivalent (BAE) in the outer ¾ inches of the wood.
- To minimize borate leaching, apply a water resistant sealer after the surface is dry to the touch. In low temperature and high humidity locations this may take 1-4 weeks.
- Shell-Guard Concentrate solutions carelessly spilled or applied to cropland or growing plants, including trees and shrubs, may kill or seriously retard plant growth. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment wash-waters.
- Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark.
- Clean up tools and equipment with water. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Undiluted Shell-Guard can be stored in a sealed container for up to 5 years
- Do not allow to freeze
- Store out of reach of children and pets
- Shell-Guard is registered and available for shipment to all 50 states via FedEx.
- Due to new Canadian regulations Shell-Guard is not available for sale in Canada.