Same Sikkens formula…..a new name!
Prevent your wood from darkening over time with repeated coats of tinted Sikkens products by applying Sikkens Cetol Maintenance RE , a compatible, clear, satin wood finish. With a single application of Sikkens Cetol Maintenance RE wood finish, the wood will retain the same look and color longer and minimize blistering and cracking due to expansion and contracting of wood.
Product Type: Oil-based, alkyd resin formula
Uses: Siding, garage doors, outdoor furniture, trim, windows, fences, doors, and log homes previously treated with Sikkens ProLuxe Cetol Log & Siding or Sikkens ProLuxe Cetol 2/3. Either product must have a dull appearance but otherwise in good condition and has been maintained according to Sikkens guidelines.
- Prevents wood from darkening after repeated coats of Sikkens tinted product.
- Alkyd Resin. Not manufactured with lead or mercury containing materials
- Colorless, translucent, satin finish
- Single coat protection that will help retain the same look and color and minimize blistering and cracking due to expansion and contracting of wood.
Product Facts for Sikkens Cetol Maintenance
|Smooth and Resawn (rough) Wood Surfaces|
NOTE: Once you apply Sikkens Proluxe Cetol Maintenance RE you cannot switch to a color application for future retreatments without stripping existing finish.
Clean Your Logs
Great Preparation is the Key to Application Success!
- Spray the surface with clean water, wetting the wood.
- Clean the surface with a solution of 4 ounces of 100% powdered Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) or phosphate-free substitute (TSP-PF), plus 1 quart of liquid bleach in 3 quarts of water. You can get TSP at your local hardware store. Apply this solution generously to the wood with a garden pump sprayer.
- Let the solution sit on the wood for 15-20 minutes. Do not let the solution dry on the wood.
- Rinse solution starting at the bottom of the wall and working towards the top with a pressure washer at no more than 500-800 psi, and standing at least 8-12 inches from the surface to prevent wood damage.
- Make sure to test the rinse water coming off the wood with a pH strip (available at your local hardware or pool supply store), to make sure no bleach is left on the surface. Bleach left on the surface can cause streaking and adhesion issues. Rinse water should range between 6.5 and 7 on the pH scale.
- Let surface dry for 3 days before application. Three drying days count as non-rainy days. Walls not exposed to full sun will not dry as fast.
Caulk All Gaps and Checks
It is natural for wood to crack/check over time due to changing seasons, temperature and aging.
Fill any spaces between the logs and upward facing cracks/checks in the wood after applying a wood preservative and before applying Cetol Maintenance. Fill all joints, cracks, and nail holes with a good quality acrylic latex caulk/filler created specifically for use with wood like Energy Seal or Check Mate 2 prior to applying log finish.
- Apply when air and surface temperature is between 50° F (10° C) – 90° F (32° C)
- Do not apply in direct sunlight, if rain, snow, heavy dew or low temperatures below 40° F (4° C) are expected within 48 hours
Cetol Maintenance can be applied only over Sikkens Log & Siding, Cetol 23 Plus when the finish is dull but otherwise in good condition with no bubbling, peeling or flaking.
Note: Once you apply Sikkens ProLuxe Cetol Maintenance RE removal of all product is necessary to recoat with Cetol Log and Siding or Cetol 1, 23 Plus.
Sikkens Cetol Maintenance RE wood finish should be applied within four weeks of surface cleaning, provided that the surface remains free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew.
- Buy sufficient product for the whole job and intermix all product together before starting.
- Stir thoroughly before and periodically during application.
- Do not thin.
- Brushing is the preferred method of application, using a natural bristle brush. If applied by roller or airless sprayer, back brush immediately to ensure penetration and to avoid an uneven finish. For airless spray, use a .009”-.011” tip at 700 – 800 psi, adjust pressure as needed.
- Apply one even coat of Cetol Maintenance RE Wood Finish, avoiding heavy application.
- Apply in the direction of the grain.
- To avoid lap marks, start at one edge and follow through to the end of each board maintaining a wet edge.
- Coat all end grains and the back of all boards if possible.
Please Note: Tannin containing woods such as redwood, red cedar, mahogany, douglas fir, etc. contain tannic acid which tends to migrate to the surface and discolor the stain, especially noticeable when using white or light colors. The discoloration is not harmful and can usually be removed. Apply a cleaning solution of four (4) ounces of oxalic acid to one gallon of warm water using a garden sprayer or a heavy nap roller cover. Allow solution to dwell on surface for 20 minutes then thoroughly rise with clean water. Do not allow solution to dry on wood surface.
Sikkens Cetol Maintenance RE is available for shipment by ground only and is shipped via FedEx to the continental USA; with the exception of the following areas that are not approved for Sikkens Cetol Maintenance RE use due to VOC regulations:
Please Note: Sikkens ProLuxe Cetol Maintenance RE cannot be sold to:
- Counties in the South Coast Air Quality Management District of California which includes Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino Air Quality Management District of California
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District of California
- San Joaquin Air Quality Management District of California
- Ventura Air Quality Management District of California
- Kern Air Quality Management District of California
- Imperial Air Quality Management Districts of California
Please Note: South Coast Air Quality Management District of California has an exemption for locations registered above 4,000 feet.